Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Phở Hòa Pasteur: Pho-licious Start to The Day



2013 saw me travelling to Ho Chi Minh City for the first time, and I loved the place so much that I went back for a second round within two months. Pho (Rice Noodles), being the representative dish that most of us known of Vietnamese cuisine was on the top of my must-eat list. I couldn't be more thankful when my Vietnamese friend brought me to Phở Hòa Pasteur for breakfast.




Located near the city centre, Phở Hòa Pasteur has been widely publicized as the place to go for authentic pho by both tourists and locals alike. With a shophouse of its own, the ground floor can be pretty stuffy in HCMC's weather, so head upstairs for the air-conditioned hall and sit among Vietnamese having a hearty breakfast before heading to work.


Tra Da (2,000 Dong ~ SGD0.10)

The staple drink of Vietnam, iced tea (pronounced as "Ja Da"), is readily available at almost all restaurants and served either free of charge or cost close to nothing. Pretty nice to cool you down.



A table spread of snacks to go with your pho (Pay for only what you eat) and raw vegetables to soak in the soup. Can't tell what was what really, but I followed suit and randomly plucked some too.



Beef Combination (60,000 Dong ~ SGD3.50)

Might as well just go for the "all-in" combo while I'm there! Flavourful half-cooked beef slices, bouncy beef balls, tender beef briskets and crunchy beef tripes, all so good in a light yet addictive broth which I slurped nonstop. Noodles were narrower than most variants I have seen, excellent with a smooth and slightly springy texture.

At less than $4 per person, Phở Hòa Pasteur serves an hearty meal and raises my benchmark for a good bowl of pho. Awesome first stop in HCMC!

Phở Hòa Pasteur
260C Pasteur Street
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Tel: +84 8 3829 7943
Directions: Its not that hard with Google Map and walking along Pasteur Street, but you always have taxi for the easy way out.

Taken with Nikon D70

2 comments:

FoodieFC said...

wanted to visit here. But decided to give this a skip on the advice of a local friend and went to another one. Maybe one day if I go back HCM, I wil come over here for a try!

Daniel said...

Haha I thought it was pretty good, will still head back if I have the chance!